Monday, May 9, 2016

Maximize Your Community College Experiences by Using Resources

Community colleges are wonderful starting points for many students for a wide variety of reasons. Whether it's because of finances, academics, employment, family, or simply convenience, two-year public schools offer viable options to springboard oneself towards careers and/or transferring to bachelor's degree granting institutions. Many capable students who would have difficulty entering immediately into the university environment thrive at community colleges. Why is it, then, that the university transfer and bachelor's degree completion rates for such students are relatively low?

According to research performed at the Center for Community College Research at Columbia University's Teachers College, there are flaws in how community college students are counseled for selecting classes and are assisted through the transfer process. I know, however, from my experiences at the numerous Southern California community colleges where I've taught, there are MANY resources available to help students through this process and they are VERY visible and vocal on nearly every campus. I believe more needs to be done to encourage students to make the most of their community college educational experiences, and it starts with knowledge. I actively encourage my students to see their academic counselors on a regular basis and try to answer any questions that they might have to the best of my ability. I know many of my colleagues do the same.

Is Community College a Stepping Stone? It Depends